Saturday, 30 May 2009

This time a cake for my dad's birthday with sugarpaste pale yellow carnations, I took the photo's before I cleaned up the cake box lid that the cake is sitting on so it looks a bit messy around the edges. You can also see my finger indentation in the front of the cake in this pic which I did remember to sort out before I gave it to him.
This was another fruit cake as all my family seem to prefer them, I sometimes wish that they'd like a sponge instead as they're a lot easier to ice!
I was so pleased with these carnations as they are something I have never made before, but they worked brilliantly and actually looked like what I intended them to look like (which quite often isn't the case!)

Thursday, 28 May 2009

Holidays and Cakes

We've been away on holiday, it was lovely and we even got sunshine for the whole week, which is never a given in England! Arrived home to find my raddishes had had a growing burst, my first vegetables from the garden this year which am ever so pleased about.

It was also the other half's birthday yesterday so I made an iced fruit cake, am making my sister's wedding cake next year so have been experimenting with different icing types recently, this cake was done with sugarpaste covering and modeling paste flowers, was pleased with how it turned out and it tastes great!
I've really wanted to start the Goddess Knits Aniversary KAL but am lacking yarn, it requires 1900 yards and I definitely don't have that much 2ply in my stash, nothing at my LYS (which is very acrylic orientated anyway) so have been looking online for something lovely but not too expensive. To keep me busy I've started the Victorian Ruby scarf from the Victorian Lace Today book with some Forsell 3ply I inherited, its knitting up quite quick but I do hope it looks better once blocked as it currently resembles a dishrag! I've finally finished my son's socks and as soon as I get him to model them I'll write up the pattern, so pleased with how they've turned out and they're a super quick knit.

Monday, 11 May 2009

Luna Moth Shawl

I have finally finished my Luna Moth Shawl and I love it, it turned out really well considering I was concerned about whether the yarn that I was using would work. The yarn that I used was Sirdar Escape DK which is 51% wool and 49% acrylic but it actually blocked quite well and hasn't sprung back too much.

My only problem was running out of yarn, I bought 4 balls from a closing down shop and I wish that I could have got hold of another, but never mind I still love the finished article and the colour changes are lovely.

I now only have one project on the go (apart from sewing up a penguin which I keep putting off) which is my son's socks, just one toe to go! I need a new project but not sure what, I think should prob be more socks as I have a pile of sock yarn and not much else in any quantity. I am currently trying to think of projects for small amounts of yarn, I have been given some odd balls of odd yarn and I hate to let anything go to waste. I think that my next few projects should all come under the title of 'what to do with odd balls of icky acrylic and fashion yarn'!

Saturday, 2 May 2009

Today is evidently 'World Naked Gardening Day' there is even a website about it, evidently 'apart from swimming gardening is at the top of the list of family-friendly activities people are most ready to consider doing nude'. Well, I have got lots of gardening done today, but not nude, my garden is rather overlooked and I didnt want to shock the neighbours! Actually I'm not too sure if I actually fancy gardening in the nude, but I suppose it saves getting more clothes covered in dirt.